Monday, April 6, 2009

Prostitution... Boo!

With this issue being close to my heart, I would like to comment about what appealed to me as the atmosphere in class going PRO on legalizing prostitution. Let this be my way of reacting to Sir Cardenas's statement, "I expected more from you, you are UP students, you should know better," and went on to explain, from how I understood it, was that the class voted the winning team according to what they personally believe in rather than as an arguable beneficial thing.

I voted for the Anti-Prostitution side because I didn't need an explosive oration to tell me what a simple truth is from a distorted point of view. I looked back at personal experiences to help me decide that the arguments are sound enough to tell me between a right and wrong, regardless if it's a belief that society just made up on its own. I made a judgment call based on what I know to be more harmful that good.



The pain, trauma and financial drawbacks it can bring to a family, is simply not worth the bruhaha of going to a massage parlor and get a quick sex fix. Having a lifetime with herpes is not a joyride, either. So what if you're lonely, so what if you're not getting it from your husband or your wife. You ought to protect yourself, and help others protect themselves by not engaging in a high-risk activity like this, which provokes underage prostitution, increases the likelihood of abuse and human trafficking, and degrades the morale of women and men in prostitution, causing them a lifetime of trauma, guilt and despair.

Temporary cash in exchange of a life lived with what sort of purpose? Grinding, pumping, giving head? Telling your grandchildren, "Yes, sweetheart, I was a great prostitute back in the time, and boy was it great. Such a great legacy to live by." Plus, the fact of the matter is, most of the men and women in prostitution are such poor financial planners. We cannot dismiss these as a part of the so-called benefits of legalizing prostitution, looking at just the potential goods of it is refusing to acknowledge how it backstabs lives. You don't just sidetrack the human element in hopes of finding a workable solution because even if it's workable, it's not a brilliant idea.

I voted for Joenil Confreros because he drove the point home, and he made quite a pretty stirring speech, but I'm not sold on it. He went on to explain his point that went something like, hey, since it's here, has been for hundreds of years, and here to stay, let's stop keeping it taboo and protect women and men in prostitution. Let's stop treating them like criminals, always running from the law. Let's give them a fair treatment just like our laborers, working for money, in hopes of getting food on the table or sending family members to college and all that crap. Salute to the bravery of these people we're getting revenue from taxes and tourism which gives our economy an extra umph! It's like saying, "Wow, Miss ang laki ng ITR mo, ah. Ibig sabihin ang dami mong customers. Wow, ang galing!" "Ay oo, actually, naibili na nga ako ni Mayor/Doctor/Businessman/FG ng Everest." Now don't ask me if that's a good or a bad thing.

Let's go ahead and give them a heads up to stand in the street, or if that's not allowed, in Jollibee-like drive throughs in our community, clad in boob-revealing see-throughs and pekpek shorts, ask us, "Hi, Pogi, gusto mo ba ng goodtime? Magaling ako sa deep throat, baka gusto mo lang i-try..." Or we can also look at it like a woman like me drive up to Adonis or Manhunt and pick up the guy with the biggest member, who also has the most likelihood of multiple sexual relationships, which will put me at high risk of STDs and VDs. (Uh-uh, not even a condom can help genital herpes and pubic lice.)

Simple logic would tell me to not support prostitution.

Peace.

Word count: 674

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...