Thursday, March 17, 2011

How Do You Feel About Credit Cards?

I know the many conveniences of having a credit card brings, yet we're still apprehensive to get one. The cashless concept is a change I have not fully embraced, well at least not yet. Since I was small, I have learned to scrimp and save on money that is tangible-- real, discernible, touchable material. Money that goes out is easily felt. Don't you almost feel sad when you let go of money when you purchase something, even necessities like groceries, bills, pay for a movie? Spending isn't as easy as actually earning the money, right?

With credit cards, money becomes imaginary. You now envision you still have this money. A vision that blurs when you're in front of a really nice pair of shoes or bag or maybe clothing. Let's say, it really fits you perfectly. You know you don't across RTW that fits you so well, you feel like you found Atlantis. So you buy out of the blue thinking you can pay it off even on the next next payday and will just accept whatever fee they charge if you can't afford to pay off everything this cut-off.

It's like you are bordering on tipping beyond the balance of your last payday and your current expenses. And pray that your information never be compromised, no store will overcharge you that you have to go through the whole process of filing a refund, no calamity will prevent you from using your cards.

It is true that it is now a vital need. Such cards exist for business convenience, of having a formal statement of accountabilities. Or for the "loaded" ones who have so much cash that credit cards are simply a matter of convenience.

But for the working class, it is a constant reminder of bills to pay, maxing out on purchases, deals you agreed upon that you don't really need anyway, gadgets you bought in installment, cash advances, and so forth. It is forever tied up to the words "interest rates," "balance," "fees," "unnecessary spending," etc. Money will feel vague, elusive, like you have to chase after it--- each time you make that swipe.

Since I haven't come about to building an asset empire large enough to cover any debt of any kind, we have desisted of getting one. And I know myself too well that if I succumb to my shopping urges, I will be my own slave, working like a carabao just to pay for whimsical purchases.

But here I am, lamenting that I don't have a credit card, because I want bigger storage on my Google Picasa albums. And I never book a plane ticket under my name because we don't have a card.

How about you, how do you feel about credit cards?

Photo from http://www.publicdomainpictures.net/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...